Monday 29 October 2012

Excuses Excuses

"It's time to get real and ditch our excuses!"

So with every intent to blog about all of the pre season and warm up activities I already find myself behind... So I shall cut my losses and start with the warm up activities, the first one being to document all of the excuses that have been holding us back from a fit and healthy lifestyle. The theory being that everything that is holding me back is all due to the way I think. Very similar to cognitive behavioral therapy about changing your thinking so that you don't get as anxious or depressed. It makes sense that this can be extended to why I'm not putting into practice the theory that I know. Michelle broke these into 3 categories or types of excuses: internal, external under our control, and external out of our control.

Internal
  • I'm too tired
  • Work has been too hard
  • I will never get fit so why bother?
  • If I don't eat this chocolate bar right now everything will get worse
  • I'm not good enough
  • It's not worth it if it isn't a full hour worth of exercise
  • Its not having any affect so why bother?
  • Exercise is too hard
  • Cooking a healthy meal takes too long
  • But I really want comfort food
  • I'm not motivated
External under my control
  • it's too hot
  • It's too cold
  • It's raining
  • I don't have time
External outside of my control
  • Something blows up at work and I have to work late
  • Something blows up at work and I have to do a nightly deployment and am too tired to exercise the next day
  • Family emergency
  • Surprise family dinner because cousins are in town
Hmm interesting.

 

So I'm going to get back to going to the gym in the morning. When I was doing it last year and early this year I found it quite beneficial, because I didn't have time to talk myself out of it in the morning. I now have the car back so I can easily get to the gym, so there goes that excuse. And given I'm busy quite a few nights at the moment, it's better to get it over and done with in the morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment